Kaua'i ADRC Frequently Asked Questions

What is "Kupuna Care"?
Kupuna Care is funded by the State of Hawaii to provide services such as transportation, attendant care, case management, home-delivered meals, homemaker, and personal care services. To qualify, someone must not be able to do one or more activities of daily living (ADLs) or instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs). Clients are asked for a voluntary contribution. Call (808) 241-4470 for more information.
How can I get a picture identification card since I don't drive anymore?
The State Identification Office at 3060 Eiwa Street, Room 106, phone (808) 274-3100, issues picture identification cards. For more information go to: Hawaii.gov ID Cards. The Agency on Elderly Affairs also issues picture identification cards once a month, primarily to access senior benefits on Kaua'i. For more information on date, time and location call (808) 241-4470.
How do I report abuse of an elderly person?
Abuse may be physical, psychological, financial, or sexual. The Kauai Adult Protective Services (APS) office, (808) 241-3337, has the authority to help and intervene in cases of abuse, whether suspected or actual. Any person making the report may remain anonymous. Any person who is neglected by others or exhibits signs of self-neglect should also be reported to APS.
How do I get one of those passes that allow parking in handicapped spaces?
The pass is called a Disabled Persons Parking Permit. Applications are available at Motor Vehicle Registration, 4444 Rice Stree, Suite 466, Lihue Hawaii, 96766. A doctor must confirm your disability. You may also download the form from Disability and Communication Access Board
How do I get Handivan/Paratransit service?
You must submit an application. To receive a form, call the County Transportation Agency at (808) 241-6410. A healthcare professional must confirm your disability. You may also download the form from the Transportation Agency
Who can tell me about housing options?

For information on Elderly Housing Projects operated by the State of Hawaii, contact Hawaii Public Housing Authority (808) 821-4415.

For information on other housing options, contact the Agency on Elderly Affairs (808) 241-4470.  Click here for Elderly Housing Listing

How do I get a bus pass?
You may purchase a bus pass Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm at the County of Kauai, Treasury Department at the Kapule Building, 4444 Rice St., Ste. A, Lihue, contact 241-4256, OR the County Transportation Agency at 3220 Hoolako St., Lihue, contact 241-6410. You may also download the application form from Kauai Bus Fares
Where can a well, active senior go for exercise, recreation and socialization?
Senior Centers are located at the Neighborhood Centers. The Department of Parks and Recreation coordinates several senior clubs located around Kauai. For eastside center locations (Koloa-Kilauea), call (808) 822-0511. For westside center locations (Kalaheo-Kekaha), call (808) 332-7630.
Where are the places seniors can go for a hot lunch?
Meals are served in many group dining locations by Kauai Economic Opportunity, Inc. Call (808) 245-4077 for information and applications. Meals delivered to homebound persons who qualify can be arranged through the Agency on Elderly Affairs(808) 241-4470.
I need help preparing my tax returns, but cannot afford to pay a tax preparer.
The AARP Tax-Aide program offers several sites on Kauai where qualified volunteers assist with the preparation of federal and state tax returns at no charge. Call the AARP Kauai (808) 246-4500 for a convenient site or go to AARP taxaide.
I am a caregiver for my father. Is there a Senior Center or activity he can attend while I am working?
Please call the Department of Parks and Recreation (808) 241-4460 to describe your situation and ask for assistance. Most senior centers require participants to be independent. For those who need assistance and/or supervision, an adult day care center may be more appropriate. Call the Kauai Adult Day Health Center at 246-6919.
How can I arrange services to help parents who live in another state? I think they could be helped by services like those available in Kauai.

Services for parents or any elder persons living in another state can be arranged through the area agency on aging (AAA) in their area. Their specific AAA can be identified through the Eldercare Locator by calling the toll-free number (1-800-677-1116). Eldercare Locator is a service of the Administration on Aging of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

It is important to keep in mind that the elder may not be as willing to accept services as you would like them to be. Discussing how these services will keep them independent may be a good way to introduce the subject.

How can I apply for benefits such as food stamps and Medicaid?
To see if you are eligible for food stamps and financial assistance, call 274-3371. For information on Medicaid, call the MedQuest office at 241-3575.
Does Medicare cover dental services?
Original Medicare does not cover dental services. Some Medicare Advantage plans may provide some dental coverage, however this is usually very limited. Medicaid does not normally cover dental services either, except under certain circumstances.
What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?
Medicare is a Federal health insurance plan available to seniors 65 years and older and certain persons with disabilities. Medicaid is a State-administered health insurance program for persons with certain disabilities/medical conditions and persons 65 years and older who have very low incomes and limited assets.
Will Medicare pay for a nurse or home health aid to help an elder in the home?
Medicare generally provides medical coverage only. This includes visits to a doctor and stays in the hospital. Medicare will only cover short-term, in-home care following hospitalization, and when ordered by a doctor. Medicare does not cover custodial services, which are non-medical care services such as housekeeping, meal preparation and ongoing assistance with personal care.
Will Medicare pay for a Long Term Care facility such as a Care Home or Nursing Home?
Medicare does not cover care homes. Medicare will cover a limited number of days for stays in a skilled nursing facility, normally following hospitalization. It does not cover long term stays in a skilled nursing facility. If client requires ongoing skilled nursing care and cannot afford to pay, client should apply for Medicaid long term care coverage.